Fork Seal Clip for a 1982 Suzuki GS850L Motorcycle
September 24, 2014
Instructions for replacing fork seal clips on a 1982 Suzuki GS850L motorcycle:
- Stare at recently removed, broken, and rusted fork clips.
- Find that rebuilding your forks cannot continue until new clips are procured.
- Google “1982 Suzuki GS850L fork seal clips”.
- Decide that ordering the part online will not yield same day delivery.
- Travel to local bicycle shop and ask for two 15 gauge spokes.
- Endure guarded response to request, followed by questions about application.
- Convince bicycle shop employee that you are indeed worthy of paying for two spokes.
- Return to the garage with two spokes, six dollars poorer.
- Trace existing fork clip onto a piece of paper, improvising the sections that have dissolved over the course of 30 years.
- Take two sets of needle nose pliers and begin bending bicycle spokes into the octagonal shape of the factory part.
- As shaping progresses, refer to paper tracing to make sure proper dimensions are matched.
- Cut excess spoke end and spoke head using a pair of Park Tools CN-10 cable cutters.
- Again, confirm correct shape.
- Remark to self that the stainless steel spoke will not rust in the same fashion as the factory part and grin sheepishly.
- Insert newly minted fork clip into fork leg using a small screwdriver.
- Hear the satisfying click of the clip seating itself into the fork leg’s clip groove.
- Excitedly repeat the fabrication process for the clip for the other fork leg.
Job well done.←